Crowdfunding through Global Giving:Friends Women’s Association
Dates of initial Accelerator campaign: March 12 to 30
Date of bonus day: March 21
Name of project: Providing health care to 1000s in Bujumbura slum
For details and to donate control/click on https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/providing-health-care-to-1000s-in-bujumbura-slum/
Crowdfunding is the practice of funding a project or venture by raising many small amounts of money from a large number of people, typically via the Internet.
In the last few years Crowdfunding has become a method of raising funds for organizations. The Bududa Canada Foundation that supports the Children of Bududa program and the Bududa Technical Institute have successfully used Global Giving for some of their fundraising.
FWA is responding to the needs of Kamenge slum, particularly women, children, and those who are HIV+. This includes life saving programming that improves access to health and social services, reduces gender-based violence, and contributes to the well being and stability of families who have been impacted by war, poverty, and a lack of opportunity. Working with us on this initiative will ensure we can continue providing high quality health care and programming that reaches those who are in most in need.
Friends Women’s Association is experimenting with this method to see if it is beneficial for its fundraising. This memo describes the issues involved with working through Global Giving.
- Donations from the US are tax deductive and donations from England are eligible for Gift Aid.
- Donations can be received from any country in the world.
- Donations can be made by PayPal, debit/credit card, or check.
- Funds received in any one month (if over $250) are wired directly to the FWA account in Burundi by the end of the following month.
- After FWA succeeds in the initial Accelerator program, FWA can fundraise for as many projects as it wants. Currently of the 3815 projects on Global Giving’s webpage only 8 are in Burundi.
- Global Giving will be placing FWA’s projects on its webpage so that people who have never heard of FWA will have the information needed to donate. This will increase FWA’s fundraising base.
- Global Giving charges a 15% fee for its services for the first $5,000 raised and then 10% for anything above $5,000. But Global Giving has a number of bonus and matching funds programs which they claim, for most organizations, equals or exceeds the amounts collected for its services. For this Accelerator program the bonus day is March 21 so it would be preferable for you to make your donation on this day.
Next step that requires your help:
- Global Giving only accepts donations in US dollars or British pounds.
In order to be accepted as a creditable organization with the ability to post projects on Global Givings webpage, FWA will need to succeed in its Accelerator program. The first step was to complete the lengthy, application and have it approved by Global Giving. This has been completed. The current step, where we need your help,
is between March 12 and 30 to have 40 donors donate $5,000 through Global Giving to FWA’s initial project, Providing health care to 1000s in Bujumbura slum.
As a FWA supporter, we request your assistance in partnering with us to reach our goals. If 40 donors each give $125.00, we would reach the target of raising $5000. If you are in a position to donate additional funds, please consider a larger gift of $250, $500, or more. No donation is too small and we will gratefully accept the minimum donation of $10.00.
If you can donate on the bonus day of March 21, this would be extra helpful. Donations of up to $1000 from any one donor will receive a bonus of approximately 10% on this date which would mostly compensate for the fees charged. The donation must be made through the internet.
Please forward this memo to anyone you think might be interested in supporting the Friends Women’s Association. “Crowdfunding” needs a crowd and we rely on our supporters to “spread the word.”
Ways of giving to GlobalGiving:
To donate control/click on https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/providing-health-care-to-1000s-in-bujumbura-slum/
Thanks for your consideration of participating in this crowdfunding for the Friends Women’s Association. If you have any questions on this, please contact David Zarembka at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Debit/Credit Card: Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover, and JCB cards are all accepted.
- PayPal: Donors can use PayPal from any country in order to make a donation through GlobalGiving.
- Check: GlobalGiving accepts check donations for your project as long as they are received at their office at least two full business days before the end of the Accelerator campaign. Checks should be made out to GlobalGiving Foundation and include project ID number 31891 in the memo line. International checks must be at least US$100, US checks must be at least $10. Mail checks in US dollars to 1110 Vermont Ave NW, Ste 550, Washington, DC 20005, USA. Mail check is British pounds to 6 Great James Street, London WC1N 3DA, United Kingdom.